Verva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (“Verva”) was formed in December, 2007 by consolidation of key diabetes assets, discovery technologies and targets resident in Autogen Research Ltd. (formerly the diabetes-focused subsidiary of ChemGenex Pharmaceuticals) with those of obesity drug development company Adipogen Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd. The combined product portfolio, technologies and expertise provide a substantial opportunity for rapid clinical progress and growth in high-value markets with a significant unmet medical need.
Verva research is undertaken at the Metabolic Research Unit of Deakin University in Geelong, Victoria; a state-of-the-art facility providing access to key in vitro and in vivo models and capabilities. Verva draws on the expertise of clinical and technical advisors and contract research organisations worldwide to implement the Company’s research and development strategy.
Verva incorporates all of the key features essential for success in the biotechnology arena, setting it apart from most early stage biotechnology companies, including:
- An ambitious vision for building a metabolic diseases company with international standing
- A portfolio of products at various stages of development, focused on metabolic diseases
- A technology platform capable of delivering products for both internal development and partnering
- A management team and Board with product development and company-building experience
- An aggressive corporate development and business development plan to support the company’s product development activities.
Successful implementation of the Verva business strategy is expected to establish the Company amongst the premier metabolic disease-focused biopharmaceutical companies worldwide.